Yesterday, I officially became an attorney, as I was sworn in to the Minnesota bar. This means that I can practice law in Minnesota and represent clients before all Minnesota courts. Pretty cool. I guess my moral character measured up!
The ceremony itself was slightly obnoxious. It was an official session of the Minnesota Supreme Court, and each member of the court had to be introduced. Then, we had to wait for what seemed like an eternity as all the people who have attorneys in their families were individually sworn into the bar. This part seemed especially obnoxious to me, but maybe that's just because I don't have any family members who are attorneys - it just didn't seem special to me.
Finally, after that, someone read the names of all the remaining candidates...all 500+ of us. It was sort of insane. The woman did a decent job overall (well, sort of), but she of course added a "T" to my name. I absolutely hate, hate, hate that. My name is spelled S C H M I D. Where is the T? Idiot. Anyway, we finally got through all the names and then we all stood to take our oath. I can't quite remember what I swore to do, but I'm sure I will do it. ;) After the oath, I figured we would be finished, but no. We then had to listen to a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association make a membership pitch. The guy literally listed the benefits of joining...at our bar swearing in ceremony! Ridiculous. Just provide the information in our packets and let us go on our merry ways. Finally, the ceremony ended and we were free!
To celebrate, B took me out to lunch at Kincaids, and we had an excellent lunch. Her landlord Kim works there, and she was working yesterday. It was great - she made sure we were treated like VIPs, and then she comped our lunch! What a fabulously nice thing to do, especially in this economy. Thanks, Kim! I highly recommend Kincaids (in Saint Paul) if you need a nice place for lunch/dinner. Check it out.
After lunch, I had to go back to work for a few hours. No rest for the weary. At least I'm legitimately an attorney now. I guess I better not screw up! ;)
The ceremony itself was slightly obnoxious. It was an official session of the Minnesota Supreme Court, and each member of the court had to be introduced. Then, we had to wait for what seemed like an eternity as all the people who have attorneys in their families were individually sworn into the bar. This part seemed especially obnoxious to me, but maybe that's just because I don't have any family members who are attorneys - it just didn't seem special to me.
Finally, after that, someone read the names of all the remaining candidates...all 500+ of us. It was sort of insane. The woman did a decent job overall (well, sort of), but she of course added a "T" to my name. I absolutely hate, hate, hate that. My name is spelled S C H M I D. Where is the T? Idiot. Anyway, we finally got through all the names and then we all stood to take our oath. I can't quite remember what I swore to do, but I'm sure I will do it. ;) After the oath, I figured we would be finished, but no. We then had to listen to a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association make a membership pitch. The guy literally listed the benefits of joining...at our bar swearing in ceremony! Ridiculous. Just provide the information in our packets and let us go on our merry ways. Finally, the ceremony ended and we were free!
To celebrate, B took me out to lunch at Kincaids, and we had an excellent lunch. Her landlord Kim works there, and she was working yesterday. It was great - she made sure we were treated like VIPs, and then she comped our lunch! What a fabulously nice thing to do, especially in this economy. Thanks, Kim! I highly recommend Kincaids (in Saint Paul) if you need a nice place for lunch/dinner. Check it out.
After lunch, I had to go back to work for a few hours. No rest for the weary. At least I'm legitimately an attorney now. I guess I better not screw up! ;)
1 comment:
CONGRATS! I'm proud of you!
Post a Comment