I LOVE Christmas. I love everything about it - the food, the decorations, the lights, the music, the drinks, the friends, the family, the shopping, gift wrapping, the tree, the smells, the baking, the cards, the parties, the movies, the warm feelings, toys for tots, the advent wreath, even Christmas mass (those last two are weird for me, but it's true). I just love Christmas. Some years I get into it more than other years, but I can already tell I'm REALLY into it this year. I've already been listening to the music, and I already bought some new ornaments. I go through the Christmas section every time I'm at Target, and I already planned a baking party. I just can't wait for the season to be upon us.
I'm not really sure from where this love of Christmas comes, as I'm not at all religious. I don't really think of it as celebrating the birth of Jesus. I'm not aruging that others should feel the same or anything, but to me, it's quite secular. Maybe I love it because everyone seems a lot nicer around Christmas. People donate their time and money to help others, and everyone just seems happier (except at the malls and their parking lots). Or perhaps it's about all the family and friend gatherings or the fabulous food. Or maybe it's all the fantastic childhood memories of visits with Santa, meals and treats at grandma's, and school vacations. I'm not sure.
Even if I cannot pinpoint the exact reason why I love Christmas, I do know that all of it in combination creates a feeling of joy. Danette and I always talk about how decorating the tree brings us joy, or how about buying the ornaments brings us joy. All of it brings us joy. Simply stated, Christmas fills me with joy, and it's truly a wonderful feeling. I wish I could bottle it up and carry it with me all year long. The world would be a much kinder, more caring place if I could.
So, as we approach the Christmas season (or other holidays), I hope you can experience it as I do - joyously. Doing so requires overlooking the insanity at the malls and all the other hustle and bustle and taking the time to just enjoy the moment. Really look at the lights, hum the Christmas tunes, drink the hot cocoa, enjoy the treats, and spend time with your friends and family. Give your time and your money (if you can) to a local charity, and make someone's life a little brighter. Go the extra mile to make someone's day better, whether it be via kind words or deeds. Simply put, find the Christmas spirit and put it into action. Together, we can make the world a better, warmer, kinder place, if only for a month or two. Perhaps the change will carry over into the rest of the year...a long shot, but you never know.
To conclude, and I know it's early (really early), I wish you and yours a wonderfully merry and joyous Christmas! May you find and feel the joy that I do each year, and may all your wishes come true.
PS: If you are going to anything Christmas-y, let me know as I would love to tag along. Kids' concerts, light displays, parades, you name it and I want in. Thanks!
Minnesota Politics, Immigration, and Family History
7 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment