Thursday, November 6, 2008

So much hatred...

Despite my elation over Obama's victory, there was a lot to be sad about on election night as well. First, voters in four states, Arizona, Arkansas, California, and Florida, all passed anti-gay constitutional amendments. Arizona, California, and Florida amended their constitutions to ban gay marriage, and Arkansas banned gay adoption. If I understand correctly, Florida's provision was especially onerous, as I think it banned domestic partnership agreements as well (don't quote me on that - I need to do the follow up research).

The loss in California was especially devastating because their Supreme Court had just recently held that the denial of marriage to gay couples violated the state constitution. I really hoped that California would lead the way on this issue, as it often leads the way on most social issues. This time, it failed miserably, and the loss really, really hurt. I believe CA also voted to protect animal rights while at the same time taking away basic civil rights from humans. Ouch. I'm all about animal rights, but come on.

I will never understand why people are so scared of me or other gay people or why they hate us so much that they feel it's okay to deny us basic civil rights. No matter what they try to say, it's simply no different than voting for Jim Crow laws or "separate but equal." Hell, it's not even an attempt at equal. I am a second class citizen in this nation because of who I love, which is something I cannot control, and it makes me angry and sad. Obama's election might show us how far we've come in some ways, but the results in those four states show us how far we still have to go.

To those who voted for such measures or who support them, I find you despicable and pathetic. I don't care who I anger by saying that - it's true. In 10, 20, 30, or maybe even 50 years, society will look back on you the way we look back on slaveholders or segregationists, and you or your relatives will be ashamed of your bigotry and hatred. Times are changing, and you are being left behind. History will not be kind to your bigoted asses. And while I'm not religious, no God I believe in will be kind to you either. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Grow up, and grow a heart.

I'm sure the response will be that it's about preserving the family, religion, or something besides hatred...but we can see right through that. It's a bullshit, cowardly response, and again, history will not be kind. Wake up now, or regret your choices later. One day you will see this, and you will regret the time you spent filled with hate and ignorance. I hope it's sooner rather than later, but I doubt it.

Clearly, I'm quite angry about the anti-gay results. However, that's not the only thing that bummed me out on election day. Minnesota's overall results weren't that great - Coleman is winning, even if barely, Paulsen beat Madia, and Michele "nut job" Bachmann was also reelected. How can Minnesota go for Obama in such huge numbers and then turn around and elect extreme conservatives in other places? Obviously, the burbs aren't the ones voting for Obama, but it's still quite stunning.

As for the Senate race, I do know that Al Franken wasn't a great choice, and I have friends who couldn't stomach voting for him. Plus, Coleman isn't a bible thumping, social conservative or anything totally crazy. I guess I'm not all that surprised at that race. The DFL often chooses the wrong candidate, and I think this was another example of that. Regardless of what went wrong in this race, it makes me sad that Norm still fills Wellstone's seat.

Bachmann's reelection was especially disturbing, as the woman is not only completely unqualified but she is also a total and complete bigot - and she's proud of it! She basically runs on an anti-gay, anti-choice, pro-fossil fuels consumption, pro-war, pro-ending church and state separation, anti-all tax platform and convinces the people of the 6th district to vote for her. WTF!?! This is a woman who actually hid behind bushes to watch the OutFront rally at the state capitol, and a woman who basically wants to bring back McCarthyism, and yet she is still in office. It actually takes work to be that anti-gay, and it usually comes from personal experience. Perhaps her husband bats for the other side...there have been rumors about that. Regardless of what made her crazy, I always knew I felt uncomfortable in the 6th District, and now I am convinced that my feelings were absolutely correct. Scary place for sure, especially for anyone who is different. Best part about Bachmann? She now thinks she's qualifed to sit on the House Ways and Means Committee! God help us all...I'm pretty sure her law degree (she claims her experience as a tax attorney qualifies her) is from some a bible college affiliated with the Oral Roberts University. Yeah, I'm sure she's qualified. Excellent.

So, while I felt happy about Obama's victory, election night 2008 left a lot to be desired, especially for all gay Americans. Obama might be our ally, but he's not going to lead the way for change for us. Few politicians have the courage to take a real stand, and I don't think he'll be different.

Overall, the outcomes left me feeling sad, but also angry. I'm hoping that others feel the same way too and that we can channel that anger into some constructive grass roots advocacy for change. Lord knows we have a long way to go before we reach equality. Let's start today. I still believe in America, and I still believe in Americans. Hatred and bigotry are not our destiny, and we can overcome them. Obama's election definitively proves that. To steal his line, "yes we can!" Together, we can fulfill America's promise, one day and one person at a time. It might take all of my life time and all of my children's life time, but we can do it. Say no to hatred, and say no to bigotry. Say yes to equal rights for all Americans, gay or straight, black or white, rich or poor, able or disabled! We can do this, we can make a difference. "Yes we can! Yes we can! Yes we can!"

PS: It's posts like this that will prevent me from ever running from political office. I just can't reach out and tell anti-gay folks that I hear their voices and that I understand. I just don't have it in me. C'est la vie!

No comments: