I want to join a gym as part of my plan to lose weight, but I'm not sure which gym to choose. However, I do know I don't want to join Lifetime or some other corporate gym. I figure I can and should work out somewhere that gives back to the community, and those for profit places don't really compete in that department. Plus, the cost is comparable, so why wouldn't I choose such a place?
Because of that decision, I recently looked at the YWCA and the JCC. I like them both, but I think I like the J better. The only problem is that the Y is literally right next to the Lake Street park and ride station and the J is all the way across town in Saint Louis Park (okay, I do realize that SLP isn't THAT far, but I ride the LRT and often work late - driving to SLP seems harder, especially if it's ever during rush hour). I want the gym I choose to be convenient, as otherwise I probably won't go a whole lot. I need to go at least 8 times a month to receive the insurance discount, but I think I would like to go more than that even. Thus, the Y is tempting for that reason alone. It's the ideal location - I could go right after getting off the train or I could stop at B's and then go back without having to drive more than a mile either way. It doesn't get much easier than that. However, I do like the J better - the workout equipment seemed better, and the place had a warmer feel overall. I'm not sure what to do!
To complicate matters, both clubs have joiners' fee deals that run through Sunday, but I don't think we'll be home from WI in time to join a gym that day. As a result, I have to decide which club by tomorrow if I want to take advantage of the discounts. I think I'll probably just commit to one month at the J and then see how it goes. Wish me luck, and if you have any advice, please share!
Minnesota Politics, Immigration, and Family History
7 months ago
2 comments:
I would say go with the Y. Speaking from experience, any reason to not go to the gym is NOT good. The J is too far away.
That's just me.
i know i'm a little late with the advice, but i'd look into the hours of operation for each gym. you tend to like to do things spur the moment, and i'm sure that would include the gym. if you feel like going at 8pm, you want the gym to be open. i'd also check weekend hours as some gyms tend to close early.
Post a Comment