I took Tony to the vet today, and the news is not great. First, it turns out that the cut I noticed on his foot is actually two puncture wounds - one on the top of his foot, one on the bottom. The vet guessed that Kitty bit him, as the cut is pretty infected, typical of a cat bite - they are nasty things. Poor Tony - the vet started touching the wound and he started bleeding everywhere - I guess it's pretty bad. Treatment: soak his foot in some medicated solution twice a day and antibiotics twice a day. Good times. I laughed at her when she told me I should try to soak his foot 5-10 minutes at a time. She agreed that it's ridiculous, but asked that I do my best. I agreed.
As for the pooping, she ran a full blood screen to rule out any physical problems. I won't find out the results from that until tomorrow. However, based on my description of what's happening, she thinks he's just upset with me and that the problem is purely behavioral. She said we need to retrain him to use the litter box, which means denying access to beds. She also said that some anti-anxiety medicine could help, as he's stressed when I'm stressed (meaning that it's probably not just anger, but anxiety and anger). Because it's basically impossible to give him pills (the antibiotics are liquid), she ordered some transdermal meds for him. I will start him on those when I return home, as Tony will be on a holiday until then.
Why is Tony going on holiday you ask? Well, because his foot is such a mess and because treating it requires a lot of work, I decided to board him at vet when I'm in Alaska. This way, Carolyn (and anyone else for that matter) doesn't have to deal with it, and I can rest easy knowing that he's being cared for properly (and not pooping anywhere in the house). He will have a miserable 9 nights, and he might poop even more when I return, but at least he will be cared for and hopefully healed. The vet agreed with my decision, saying he will be stressed with me gone, stressed if he goes to B's, stressed at the vet's, etc. Taking care of the infected foot is the most important thing for now, and this decision will ensure that happens.
In other news, I'm holding a "Hyundai screwed me over/Tony is high maintenance/Lisa is eating ramen noodles" fundraiser in the near future! ;) Just kidding - the money stuff sucks, but really, it's just money, and it will be okay, even if I don't pay off the credit card until 2020. Life goes on. :)
Adios para ahora - the next post may be from Anchorage, AK!
PS: My sincere condolences to you, Kami. I'm here for you. RIP Andrea Davis.
Minnesota Politics, Immigration, and Family History
7 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment