We started the day off with a home cooked breakfast of scrambled eggs and bacon - yay for camp stoves! After we ate and got ready, we set off to hike to Fairy Falls. Manda chose this hike because it ended at waterfalls and didn't climb in altitude significantly - I very much appreciated that! The trail started off in the middle geyser basin, and it started off extremely warm, as there was no shade. We brough
Within the first mile, we ran right into a giant bull elk! He was almost close enough to touch. We obviously didn't touch him, but we were able to get some decent photos. He must have been used to humans, as he just kept eating. Only once did he stop to look at us, and that's when he heard the bear bell on the hiking stick. Otherwise, he didn't seem to mind our presenc
We then continued on the hike, and eventually entered a somewhat more shaded part of the trail. The terrain was quite odd - lots of windblown or burned trees, a mountain on one side, some woods on the other. I described it as not ugly, but not beautiful either. Just different I guess.
After about 2.6 miles, we came upon the falls, and they were beautiful. Quite tall, and we were able to walk right up to the pool into which they fell. The cool mist and spray felt fantastic after the hot hike, and we sat on a lo
Since it was only 3:00 at this point, we decided to drive the northern loop of the park. We were going to do it on Friday, but we decided we would just head for home on Friday instead, as we had some time now. Plus, I figured we would wind up in bear country right around dusk, which is one of the times they are active, and Manda desperately wanted to see a bear. So, off
First up was Mammoth Hot Springs. We didn't spend a ton of time there, as it was super hot, and the heat affects Manda's MS. We did the little drive and took a few pics though. It was a really cool area. Basically, what's happening is that the mountain is turning itself inside out - all the quartz (I think that's right) is being poured out in the hot water from the underground springs, and it creates terraces of stone - almost all white. Absolutely stunning! There are tons of springs (hence the name), but again, it was too hot to really go check them out. Plus, to me anyway, all the springs started to blur together!
We also saw Undine fa
As we left Mammoth Hot Springs, we decided to take a little side road called the Blacktail Plateau or something. T
We then were approaching the eastern entrance road, and we decided to take it for a while (which means we left the loop) because it runs along Lamar Valley, a big place for grizzly bear spottings. A woman told us to go to the ranger station and use the scopes...well, w
The entire next part of the drive was quite stressful, as it was at a high elevation and the roads were quite narrow and winding. I had to pay close attention, as other cars kept crossing the center line. Also, at many points, there was no guard rail between us and the side of the mountain - wtf? Scary! I did fine however, and we cruised along.
Suddenly, as we went aroun
After that sighting, we contined back toward Grant Village on some more crazy roads. I actually had dreams about driving off the side of the mountain - crazy! Anyway, as we drove through Lake Country (by Yellowstone Lake), we saw a full rainbow over the lake. Absolutely amazing. I didn't stop for a picture, as there were no convenient pullouts and it was getting darker, but it was still beautiful. I'm not sure I've ever seen a full rainbow to be honest, and it was fantastic. The sun was also setting, and that
We then continued on and noticed that the car in front of us had stopped. This time I looked out, and I swear to God, we saw three more bears! This time it was a mom and two cubs crossing the
After that, it was pretty smooth sailing back to camp. We were both exhausted, so we skipped cooking and the fire, ate some snacks, and went to bed. All in all, it was another fantastic day...until we noticed the car making a terrible noise. Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment