As I approach graduation, I'm trying to take care of all the details that accompany that big life change. Bar application, Barbri registration, cap and gown ordering, student loan exit counseling, etc. One of the more important details is deferring my student loans until I begin working in September, as I can't swing that kind of bill without income.
To get the deferment ball rolling, I called my student loan companies to explain my situation. I told them that I will be unemployed from May until early September (this confused many of them at first), and it turns out I qualify for two deferments: the unemployment deferment or the economic hardship deferment.
The economic hardship deferment is easier to qualify for, but it lasts for 12 months and you can only use it once for the term of the loan. As a result, the loan folks suggested that I save that deferment in case I really need it and that I should apply for the unemployment deferment. Sounds simple enough, but there's a catch. I have to be eligible for unemployment benefits or actively seeking a job via a job agency if not eligible. I explained to each company that I HAVE a job, but that I can't start work until September. Their solution: I simply need to post a resume on a site like monster.com or careerbuilder.com and that will count as actively looking for employment, thus allowing me to qualify for the deferment. I have no problem doing this, but what a silly solution. They must deal with other law graduates in the same position as me, so I don't fully understand why they don't have another category, but whatever. It's simple enough, and I can save the economic hardship for the future (fingers crossed that I won't need it). All's well that ends well, even if I must follow an odd path to get there.
Hope everyone is well. Think of me as I head off to monster.com to post a resume in the hopes of finding a job I don't need. I just hope HLNJ doesn't search monster.com... ;)
Minnesota Politics, Immigration, and Family History
7 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment