Law school is boring. If you know me, you know I think that. It's difficult for me to sit through each class, and I often daydream. However, tonight in my Sexual Orientation and the Law class, two women spoke about their experience of being lesbian in the military. It was completely fascinating and also truly troubling to hear what they had to go through. The woman who served before "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" described her experience as "being hunted like a dog." She was constantly harassed and badgered about being gay, and she constantly had to deny her identity just so she could continue serving. It seems "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" has provided some relief to GLBers (no trans protection), but it still makes me sad that gay people who want to serve their country cannot be truly open about their lives. Clearly, the military needs talented people, especially during war time, but it can continue to reject people simply because they love someone of the same sex. Absolutely insane.
I have a great deal of respect and admiration for those who serve, and I seriously considered serving myself at one point. However, given the reception GLBTers receive, I think it probably worked out for the best that I remained a civilian. Regardless, I think serving our country is about one of the most honorable things one can do, and I would have been proud to do so. I just wish the military would change its ridiculous stance on homosexuality, but as one of the speakers said (shout out to Stacey), the military will not and cannot be the leader in the civil rights movement for us. We need to make changes in our civilian society first, and then the military will come around. Obviously, we have a lot of work to do! So, if you are up to it, get out there and make a difference! Outfront's Lobby Day is tomorrow - you could start there! ;)
To end this post, I will close with a great big thank you to all who serve or have served in our nation's military. You don't receive enough thanks, but please know that many people are proud of and grateful for your service! Thanks!
Minnesota Politics, Immigration, and Family History
7 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment