Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Co-Opting of Juno

I had my weekly volunteer gig at Planned Parenthood yesterday, and it went pretty smoothly. 6 protestors, but 3 mostly just prayed the rosary. Charlie was there as usual, and he was his same old self, with one new thing. He has now co-opted the movie Juno into his repertoire. By this, I mean as he talks to the women as they try to walk into the clinic, he tells them that they don't have to have an abortion and that it's just like the movie Juno, in which the main character chose to have the baby. Now, I don't know if most people have seen Juno, but if you have, you know the point of the movie isn't anti-choice, but rather it's a movie about a girl making a tough decision and choosing to do what felt right to her. However, I remember watching the movie and thinking, uh oh, this is going to be used by the anti-choicers, and now it is. Swell. Hopefully the patients are smart enough to see through the ruse, and they can see that they can make whatever decision they want, just like Juno did.

Here's to making decisions that work for you!

Happy birthday to Karen and Austin, both turning big ages this week!

1 comment:

Austin said...

Thanks babe! I had a blast with you at my party. Thanks for coming it was so good to see you.