Friday, July 6, 2007

The Basilica Block Party and Me - myspace blog post

I know, I know, I just wrote an entry. However, I have another interesting experience to share: The Basilica Block Party (BBP).

A while back, Sarah asked if I wanted to go to the BBP, as Amos Lee and Brandi Carlile were scheduled to play. I said sure, why not? I've never been. Of course, Amos and Brandi played on different nights, so we had to buy the two day passes. At the time, I thought, no big deal. I love music and it will be fun.

Fast forward to tonight, the first night of the BBP. Sarah and I decided to meet at my office, eat dinner, and take a cab over to the Basilica. All went smoothly and we arrived in good shape. Neither one of us had ever attended a BBP, so we had no idea what to expect upon entry. We walked in, and bam, it was honestly like one giant Catholic college reunion. A very, very straight, young college reunion. With lots of alcohol. In fact, it turns out that more alcohol is sold at this event than at any other similar event in the Twin Cities. Gotta love Catholic fundraisers.

Anyway, we made our way to the main stage (when they said block party, they actually meant block party, who knew?), and we actually ran into one of Sarah's professors, perhaps the only other gay person at this entire event. Except the priests. But I digress. We chatted with her for a bit, and then she was on her way, leaving us alone in the sea of drunken straights.

Despite the craziness, the music soon started up, and things improved quite a bit. The delicious ice cream cone helped even more, and then it was time for Amos. While I'm not a huge fan of his, I really enjoyed the show. He did an excellent job, and I even sang along to some of the tunes. Additionally, the weather was perfect, and it was really cool to be outside watching music with the Mpls skyline in the background. Thus, despite the drunken frat party in our midst, the night turned out to be quite fun. However, I'm not sure it was good enough to want to go back tomorrow, even if it's for Brandi Carlile. Two tix to the BPP anyone? JK, I love Brandi!

A note to my readers: Know that for the most part, I write with tongue in cheek. Take it for what it's worth and know that I don't hate the world. In fact, I have a good life, and it's dang good to be alive! Sounds funny to have to clarify, but that's the way it is.

No comments: