Sunday, April 29, 2007

Amazing Grace - myspace post

I'm in the story telling mood...

The year was 1999 and I was the BLOC (big lesbian on campus) at good ol' CSB. Graduation, and thus the real world, rapidly approached. I sought solace in a J Term course called Sexuality and Spirituality, figuring as a lifelong skeptic, I could use some help in the spirituality department. However, the class was not what I expected at all. Needless to say, I've told many a story from that class, including the real meaning of hiking, but the one that I will never forget is the wonderful amazing grace story...

One of our assignments was to write a homily, sort of a story/sermon about ourselves. I wrote my coming out story but told it from the perspective of a girl named Jocelyn and I described her life at CSB...clever I know. Anyway, I delivered my spell binding homily to the class, revealing myself as the true Jocelyn, and I then surprisingly received a standing ovation. If that wasn't enough, suddenly someone burst out, I think that we should sing Amazing Grace!

Before I knew what was happening, I was being shuttled to the middle of the circle and everyone began to sing Amazing Grace around me. The whole song. I'm not lying. While the singing was taking place, each person individually came up to me and gave me a hug. My task was to not bust out laughing. Seriously. Somehow I made it through and left class never to speak of the event again.

Years go by and I rarely think of the event, except to chuckle a bit when hearing the song. However, one day out of the blue, I shared the tale with one Ms. Erickson who thought it was the best story ever. Now the story is the stuff of legend and is often retold, but each time I had to hug more people and the song gets longer...

Why I'm sharing this tonight I don't know...perhaps you too will find it hysterical. Just to help you relive my moment, here are the lyrics to that lovely song:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

If you ever see my laughing during this song, even if it's at a funeral, you now know why. Please don't hold it against me. Seriously.

Yours always,
Schmiddy

No comments: