Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The "Dreaded" Antiquity Rose

Antiquity Rose is a little restaurant and tea room that doubles as a jewelry/antique store, and it is located in Excelsior, a little Lake Minnetonka town that is filled with Stillwateresque charm. Many people love that sort of thing, including my mom, Mary (my second mom), and various members of my family, immediate and extended. They have been going there for years, and they are recognized and well loved regulars at this point.

Despite my family's love for the place, I had never been there, as jewelry, antiques, "charm," and all that other jazz just really aren't my thing. Until yesterday that is. Some of my favorite extended family members were in town and a group decided to meet for lunch. They invited me, and before asking them about the location, I excitedly agreed to join them. By the time I found out it was Antiquity, I couldn't (and actually didn't want to) bail.

Thus, I drove out to Excelsior yesterday afternoon, mapquest directions in hand and laughing out loud a bit to myself as I drove along. I eventually arrived, and it turns out the place is actually a little house with different rooms and the little store in front. Let's just say there was a lot of frill involved. It reminded me of a typical bed and breakfast. Not my thing, but I get why other people like it.

In all seriousness, the meal was decent and the company was great. And I really didn't hate the place, as someone in my family thought I might. Not my thing, but not terrible either. Plus, it makes my mom happy, and I was fed - how can I really complain about that? In the end, the dreaded Antiquity Rose wasn't so dreadful after all! ;)

1 comment:

? said...

Antiquity Rose is definitely an "acquired taste". The food is always good, but I often feel like I am going to break something (bull in a China shop, anyone?). I am glad that you didn't hate it- Mom and Mary do love it there, so it is nice that you survived. :) I am proud of you!