I graduated on Saturday. I can hardly believe it. It still doesn't feel real. They called my name, I walked across the stage, accepted my fake diploma, took pictures in the crazy get up, and had a party. Yet, I still can't believe it's over. I feel like I'm just on a bit of a holiday or a school break. Perhaps reality will set in when BarBri begins. Or maybe when I go to work for the first time. Who knows?
I really enjoyed the graduation activities. I participated in the 3L Booze Cruise, a boat ride down the Mississippi river. I really had a good time talking, dancing, drinking, and eating with my fellow classmates. It might be the last time I see some of them - craziness. Plus, I love being on the water, and I realized that I had never been on a boat ride on the Mississippi river. Odd, since I've been on several American and European rivers; somehow I managed to skip the biggest river in my home state. Glad that's remedied.
Saturday was the graduation ceremony, and while it felt a bit long at times, it actually went by quite quickly. Then it was on to my party, which several of my friends and my sister put together for me (thanks you guys, really you're the best). The party seemed to be a hit, and that was good.
All in all, graduation was great. It was a nice way to cap off a law school career that led to many different life experiences, some good, some challenging, but all worthwhile. I've grown and changed a ton, but at the same time, I'm still essentially me. I like that. I like that my core remains. I think it's important to have that base; otherwise it is too easy to lose one's way.
I also learned a lot during my three years, but I'm not sure I learned enough to be a lawyer. I guess I will find out, and deep down, I believe I can do it. It just will take some time to adjust to the learning curve.
I just can't get over the idea that I will never have to sit through the Socratic method again, I will never have to take a final exam again (discounting the bar), and I will never live the student life again (unless I figure out a way to not work and get another degree at the same time; not likely). I can't wait for it to set in, because I think it's gonna be great!
So law school, I bid you a final adieu. It's been both awful and amazing. I'm glad to be done with you, but I know part of me will miss you too, sick as that sounds. Adios!
No comments:
Post a Comment