I was just reading a friend's blog and came across a mind boggling entry capturing her recent experience. To summarize, my friend wrote to state senator Paul Koering, the Republican who represents the Brainerd area. Despite his Republican status, Senator Koering is gay. However, he still plans to vote no on the recently introduced bill (S.F. 120) to legalize gay marriage in Minnesota. My friend wrote him a polite letter asking him to reconsider his position. In response, she received a poorly written, extremely rude letter from Senator Koering's legislative assistant, Ken Swecker. Seriously, read the letter. It's amazing that Mr. Swecker is still employed, and I say that as a former legislative assistant. My senator would have fired me on the spot if I had written and sent that letter out from his office (I think anyway - on the other hand, he used to tell the anti-gay folks where to go. It's different when he does it though). Not only is the letter incredibly rude, but it is also horribly written. Where did that guy go to school? Did he go to school? Yikes, Senator Koering - you have a stupid, uneducated loose cannon working for you. Beware.
I honestly think my jaw actually dropped while I read that letter. Who does Mr. Swecker think he is? He has no right to treat Minnesotans that way, even if they aren't Senator Koering's constituents. His job is to help Senator Koering represent his district, not to be a total asshole.
I do know what it's like to be bombarded with letters from non-constituents, and I understand how frustrating it can be. I worked for my senator for five sessions, and we received 100s if not 1,000s of such letters/calls each session. I also endured the anti-gay onslaught of 2004, when we received 1,000s of horrible, hateful letters and phone calls from people telling my senator to vote for the gay marriage ban (and saying many nasty things in the process). I literally received threats and was told I was going to hell on a regular basis (I actually saved copies of some of the letters if you don't believe me). I had to threaten to call security to protect my boss, and I fought tears on many days, as I read and listened to awful, ridiculous, hateful statements. Through all of that, I never once responded to those folks in a manner resembling Mr. Swecker's letter. Not even close. Did I want to? Absolutely. Was it the right thing to do? No. That wasn't my job. I represented my senator, and such a response would have embarrassed him. Also, while such a response might have felt terrific, it wouldn't have done any good, as arguing with folks filled with that much hatred rarely accomplishes anything; it's like arguing with rabid anti-choicers.
Mr. Swecker's response is even more ridiculous because I sincerely doubt that he is dealing with the level of hatred I endured. I cannot imagine that the pro-gay marriage crowd is telling Senator Koering that he is going to hell, and even if some of them are saying stupid things like that, I don't think most are (plus, I don't imagine that Senator Koering is receiving that many calls/letters, period). I'm sure most people are simply writing to ask him to reconsider his position, like my friend did. Regardless, no call or letter would justify Mr. Swecker's response. He has a right to hang up on rude callers, and he has a right to respond curtly to rude letters, but what he chose to do was absolutely ridiculous. Simply stated, there is no excuse for Mr. Swecker's behavior, and Senator Koering should be ashamed to employ him. Really, ashamed. I mean it. Mr. Swecker's letter is embarrassing, and it reflects poorly not only on him, but also on Senator Koering.
In good news, if Mr. Swecker ever wants to run for office, that letter will probably come back to haunt him. Perhaps not in that little Senate district, but it will elsewhere. Heck, in time, it might even hurt him up in Brainerd, as more and more people realize that bigotry is bigotry, regardless of who the victim is. I sure hope it bites him in the ass someday, sooner rather than later. For now, let's hope he is the laughing stock of all state senate employees - you can help with that. Spread the word - Ken Swecker is a bigoted idiot, and he wins Schmiddy's idiot of the week (if not the year) award. Also, feel free to call Senator Koering at his home to complain about Mr. Swecker's rude behavior - Senator Koering needs to know who works for him. Thanks.
Minnesota Politics, Immigration, and Family History
7 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment