Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The tale of the cat and the mouse (and a silly dog)

The other night I was up late doing some work, and the pets were keeping me company while B slept. Suddenly I heard a noise in the kitchen, where Elijah was hanging out, and I knew instantly what it was - Elijah had pounced on and caught a mouse. He came running out of the kitchen with it alive in his mouth, and at this point, I wasn't sure what to do. I figured it was best to let him do his thing, as I clearly cannot catch a mouse (and I definitely didn't want to either). Things were great until Matty decided she wanted a piece of the mouse. She ran over to Elijah and basically pounced on him. This made Elijah freak out and he of course dropped the mouse. The mouse then scurried away into one of two places - under the desk or in our bedroom. Elijah seemed to think under the desk, but Matty seemed to think in our bedroom. Matty kept jumping around and smelling like crazy. I have no idea how she didn't wake up B, but she didn't.

Unfortunately, at this point, I had to go into our room to go to bed. I couldn't turn on the light, as I didn't want to wake up B, and I had already taken my contacts out for the night, so I couldn't see very well. As I got ready for bed, all I could picture was a mouse falling out of my PJs or running across my bare feet...GROSS! I hustled into bed and eventually fell asleep for the night.

I haven't seen a mouse since then, and I have no idea what happened to the one I saw. I hope its near death experience convinced it to return to the great outdoors, but I doubt it. I also doubt that will be the last mouse I see this winter, as it's been brutally cold and Gordy hasn't sealed up the spot where they are coming in. Oh well. I guess that's just living in an old house and being unable to use traps for fear of harming the animals that should be catching the little vagabonds!

No comments: