B, Karen, and Paige suckered me into watching the Duggar wedding the other night. If you aren't familiar with the Duggars, you are missing out on a whole new level of insanity. Hard core, bible thumping, conservative Christian, southern family with EIGHTEEN kids. 1 8 ! Insanity, pure insanity. Don't get me started on all the reasons why having that many kids is just wrong, as that would equal an entire additional post. Instead, I will focus on the insanity of the wedding, which was the point of the crazy episode we watched.
In this episode, the oldest Duggar son (probably about 20 years old) was getting married...to a woman he had never even kissed! He hadn't dated her, talked to her much, hung out with her...he didn't know her and she didn't know him. It was basically an arranged marriage, and it was just creepy. The worst part - the son was so horny (well, duh, after 20 years of NOTHING) that his entire focus was on finishing the ceremony and racing back to the hotel. He kept saying that he didn't want anything to interfere with their departure time...that poor girl he married! A lifetime of Christian, missionary style, jackrabbit, let's make a baby sex lasting for a minute or so...EW. An even creepier part - his dad gave him some DVD explaining what should happen on the wedding night before the wedding. The four of us actually considered ordering that DVD just for the laughs!
Anyway, back to the wedding...how does anyone think this is a good idea?!? They are both super young and have barely experienced anything yet. Getting married without at least even kissing...what if there is no chemistry? What if they aren't physically sexually compatible (this is actually possible)? I guess they are just out of luck, or at least she is. Her wifely duties will require her to put out for the rest of her days, no matter how bad it is. Her duty is to reproduce, and now I'm sure they will go about overpopulating the earth just like his parents...creating little babies to continue on their weird, screwed up community. Scary, but mostly sad. I feel sad for her.
Obviously I could be wrong; they could wind up blissfully happy. Maybe I'm too cynical or too jaded. I guess we'll never know, as she won't be able to speak up if things turn sour. I never thought I would say this, but it turns out being raised Catholic wasn't so bad afterall!
Minnesota Politics, Immigration, and Family History
7 months ago
2 comments:
OK Schmiddy I must comment on this one. I watch the Duggers regularly (they are my favorite tv family.) Josh and Anna have known eachother for a few years and he was courting her. They both agreed on saving everything thing until marriage (their parents weren't involved.) They wanted to go into their marriage with a pure heart and mind. I applaud them for their choice. The example they set for their siblings and everyone else that watch is remarkable. Too have that much self control proves a lot and for a couple. I think you would be surprised to see how well round the Duggers really are.
Lopey - I think we can just agree to disagree on this one. :) Obviously, they get to do what they want to do within reason (that's why America is great), but that doesn't mean I can't think it's completely crazy! Perhaps the disconnect is that I just can't fathom a lifestyle like theirs, with set gender roles, etc. Regardless, I appreciate your thoughts!
Post a Comment