Tuesday, March 18, 2008

DC Day 4 - Here's some more!

Today, I went to the National Zoo. I typically like zoos as long as they are the right kind (doing research, building decent habitats, etc.), and I liked the National Zoo. However, it wasn't fantastic or anything - I think the Minnesota Zoo is actually better. Seeing the pandas was cool (they were quite amorous), and I enjoyed seeing the cheetahs too. However, several exhibits were closed, including the wolves and the hippos, and that disappointed me. All in all, I'm still glad I went.

After the zoo, I went over to see the White House. That was pretty cool, even though you can't get very close up. Also, I couldn't cross the street so I had to walk all the way down around a block and then back up because some motorcade went through. I highly doubt it was GWB, but who knows. Compared to the other big sites in DC, the White House seems almost small. Majestic, but small.

After the White House, I grabbed a hot dog and walked down on to the Mall again. The Mall is basically my favorite place here - I could spend hours there. It's just sort of mesmerizing. After a little stroll there, I caught the Metro back to the condo - I'm tired today and I didn't have much energy left. I've been walking tons, including today, and the zoo is uphill (getting there and inside). We were up late last night too, so today has just been a tired day overall.

Tonight we ate dinner at a little Ital
ian joint in the neighborhood. Nothing spectacular, but not bad either. There are quite a few places to eat around here, so that's nice.

Tomorrow, we have a our scheduled
tour of the Capitol building, and then I want to go look at the Supreme Court. Then I hope to hit some of the Smithsonians, particularly the Air and Space Museum and then maybe the museum of Natural History. Tomorrow is pretty open, and I'm looking forward to that.

Anyway, enough for tonight. I hope everyone is well - sorry about the snow in MN!


PS: I did NOT crash into anything today. Woot woot!

1 comment:

MamaBear said...

Hey Lise-Sounds like you guys are tearing up DC-good for you!! Sorry to hear the meters are just as hard in DC as here at home. You get your sense of direction and ability to zone everything else out when you're interested in something from me. I thought the latter was a plus but it seems to have a down side-lol. I love your pics and the blog has been a lot of fun to follow. Can't wait to see you and to hear more about your adventures in Bushland-it is a zoo (couldn't resist that one). Take care and safe flight home for all three of you. Love you-Mom