So my time in Israel is rapidly coming to an end. Tomorrow is our exam, and after that, I will be doing one last tourist thing (a tour of the Western Wall tunnels) and then heading to Tel Aviv to hopefully catch my flight home. We have to check out of our Jerusalem hotel by noon tomorrow, but my flight doesn't leave until 6 am on Friday morning, so I have some time to kill. Most of the flights in and out of here depart and arrive at odd times - super early in the morning or super late at night. A bit frustrating, but not much I can do about that. Anyway, I think several of us will probably have dinner in Tel Aviv and then maybe just head to the airport to wait. Otherwise, several others are getting a hotel room in Tel Aviv, and if we get tired and want to chill somewhere, we might go there for bit. Regardless, I have to be at the airport by 3 am because of potential security issues. Tomorrow might be a difficult day, as I will be anxious to start my journeys home but I will just have to wait. Patience, right? :)
I plan to write a more reflective, detailed summary of my trip in its entirety when I get home, as I think I need some time and distance to gauge what I think and how I feel about this experience. I've had a lot of fun, but I find it to be a very tiring place as well. I want to examine this with fresh eyes, so some time and space is necessary. Stay tuned for that blog - I'm sure you can hardly wait! ;)
Back to my adventures, last night I decided to join a few people for one last dinner out in Jerusalem. I was feeling tired, but I decided I should go because I figured I would stay in tonight to study, rest, pack, etc. A few people turned into 12, and things got a bit chaotic. 12 people means 3 cabs, etc. Good thing Daniel was on top of things; he told all of the cab drivers exactly where to bring us. On the way to the restaurant, we passed through West Jerusalem, and that was interesting t
Speaking of West and East Jerusalem, yesterday there was a big protest in the Old City because it's been suggested that Israel cede East Jerusalem to the Palestinians. This idea is not popular with many Israelis, as Jerusalem truly is the heart of Israel, but the issue is currently being discussed. The protesters tried to form a circle around the entire Old City, which would be quite the feat. I'm not sure if they succeeded, but we did see a good number of people participating. Such a protest has been done before,
As most of you know, President Bush arrives (arrived) here today. During class, we heard several rounds of helicopters, and I'm guessing one set was probably him. I guess he's only going to travel by road here when he's traveling very short distances. Otherwise, he will be using helicopters. This is a very good thing, as traffic is already bad here, and they've already had to close several roads, making it even worse. It's also interesting to see American flags on the roads now - they popped up late last week in anticipation of his visit, and before that, I hadn't really seen any. Additionally, there are now guards posted on the ramparts of the Old City, as well as at all the gates and at various places throughout the Old City. I cannot even imagine attempting to secure the Old City - there are tons of little shops, streets, houses, and nooks and crannies to deal with, but I guess they probably know what they are doing. I'm not even sure Bush will be in the Old City, but I suppose they have to be on high alert everywhere.
Okay, back to last night's dinner now, for real this time. We ate at a restaurant in West Jerusalem called Caffit. It wasn't a big place, so fitting 12 people in without a reservation was interesting. They tried to split us into two groups of 10 and 2, but we managed to fit 12 of us at the table. To me, the restaurant was nothing special - it sort of reminded me of a typical American restaurant. I ordered salmon, diet coke, and some apple pie for dessert - all just fine, but again, nothing special. Oh, another side note, sometimes diet cokes are very expensive here, just like in Europe. Last night, I got a little glass bottle for 12 shekels, more than $3! On campus, I get a much better deal, but it's still expensive. Funny what a girl will do for her diet coke! ;) Anyway, Caffit was not my favorite place, but the company was good and I left full. Can't complain too much.
This morning, we had our last class and a mini-review session, which really wasn't a review session at all. Basically, they asked if
Anyway, we finished class, and the plan for the rest of the day is to nap, study, pack, grab
Pictures:
1 -3) All views from on campus, near the building where we often had class. Note today's gloomy weather.
4) View of a part of the Old City walls
5) An old fortress in Warsaw - I know it's odd that I switched back to that city, but I had a few more pics I wanted to share.
6) Part of a monument to the Warsaw Ghetto uprising and I think to probably WWII Polish troops in general
7) Warsaw homes.
3 comments:
great pics lmcm! i can't wait to see the rest of them and hear more details of your adventure. you'll be happy to know that clinton won nh. travel safely and get some sleep. again, can't wait to talk to you!!! love you!
I am glad that you are wrapping up your time in Israel on a mellow note. Take care of yourself and travel safely! I can't wait to see you. I love you.
Hey Lise Marie-I am as anxious for you to be home as you are (I think anyways). You have seen some awesome things and will have to tell dad and I more when you get home. Good luck on the exam and have a safe flight home. Love you babe. Mom
Post a Comment