Monday, January 7, 2008

A slow blogging day

Shalom!

I don't have much to report today, as I wrote two entries yesterday, but I thought I should write anyway, as my paid inet will be running out soon. We had class this morning, and
Marc Gopin presented. Rabbi Gopin has had an amazing life and career. He's worked in Syria trying to create peace there, he's written several books, he's met with Yassar Arafat, Yitzhak Rabin, Bill Clinton, and a TON of other hugely important diplomats. Basically, he goes places that Americans, particularly Jewish Americans, don't go, and he actually makes inroads toward creating peace. Quite amazing.

After that, we walked back to the hotel, which took approximately 20 minutes. Hamline advertised this as a 7 min
ute walk, which is laughable. Perhaps if I sprinted the entire way I could make it that quickly, but otherwise, no way. Oh well, I'm only here until Thursday and then after a bit of touring, I'm heading to Tel Aviv to catch my 6 am flight on Friday morning. I will have to be at the airport at 3 am because they aren't sure what's going to happen with security with GWB here. Send positive thoughts for my travel home - I want to make it out of here that day!

I just finished a nice lunch with Kara (the company was much better than the hotel food), and I think she and I, plus Amber and Vince, are going to head into the Old City for a bit this afternoon. Tonight we have a presentation by Michael Tsur, who negotiated the release of the hostages from the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem a few years ago. That should be fascinating, and I'm looking forward to it.

We've had some great presenters for class here, but I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to be taking from all of it. Other people seem much more disappointed in the class than me though. Perhaps this is because I already experienced HUSL's class in Paris. I didn't have super high hopes, and again, I do think the presenters are terrific.

The weather seems to have changed a bit now - quite a bit colder than last week. Nothing terrible, but people did wear hats yesterday. I just wore my fleece jacket, and I felt fine. In fact, I
was super warm this morning as I walked to campus...perhaps that was because it is uphill the entire way and I'm out of shape...just a guess! ;)

Okay, that's all for now. I hope everyone is well - I miss you all.

Lots of love!


Pictures:
1) A view from the Old City, near the Western Wall I think
2) Masada - an old Byzantine church. The Byzantines occupied Masada for a while after the Jews' last stand there.
3) View of part of the Jewish Quarter (I'm standing near the Western Wall, facing the opposite way)
4) Another view of the Dome of the Rock. I guess this building houses the stone on which Mohammad (sp?) ascended to heaven. I don't think it's used as a practicing mosque, but more as a shrine. I haven't been there, as there are very few times during the day that people can go inside. It's built on top of land that is extremely holy for the Jews as well - the area is known as Temple Mount, and I think that was where the original temple was built (do NOT quote me on these things).
5) The entire Kellerman gang: Back row, left to right: Daniel, Kara, Ben, me. Front row, left to right: Joe, Amber (my roomie), and Vince
6) View from the Ramparts Walk

4 comments:

Smitty said...

I know I haven't been leaving many comments, but I've been checking your blog almost everyday! It's great to have updates and photos while you're gone.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have enjoyed the presenters! They sound like really awesome, inspirational people! I am counting on seeing you at the airport at 6:30pm Friday, so GB better not interfere with your travel plans! Enjoy your last few days there, keep writing if you have time, and see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lise Marie-I have to confess that Dubya being there on Wednesday makes me nervous for you. I am very glad you have seen all the things that you have just in case you can't do more site seeing. Masada was something I studied in college-it is similar to what the Apache's did in the old west. I did not know that suicide was a permanent separation from God in the Jewish faith-so that's where Catholic's got their original belief from before they changed it to state it is insanity and an illness that causes a person to commit suicide. The whole being buried outside of consecrated grounds bothered me. Sometimes women who died in childbirth and weren't "cleansed" of the blood taint before passing were buried outside the cemetery too. One reason rich people started their own family cemeteries I believe. According to today's paper Bush is to visit Christian Holy sites and the Holocaust museum, Yad Vashem. He will meet with Olmert in Jeruasalem and with Abbas in the West Bank city of Ramallah. Hope that helps you a little. We had a good dinner at Kincades with Greg and Vicki-though there is another layoff on Wed and V's boss told her he didn't think they would make it this time. Hope your cold is at bay and that it is not too cold. Twenty minutes of walking is bull-Hamline should be called on that and they should change where students stay. Anyways, I miss you loads and love you. Can't wait to see you. Love-Mom

Anonymous said...

what?!?!?! no new blog?