Greetings my American friends and family!
We had our first rainy day today, and let me tell you, Jerusalem is a crazy slippery city when the ground is wet! Walking on the Jerusalem stone (Mom, that's what people say it is called, idk) is like walking on ice. Perhaps even a little worse! Campus is particularly bad. We have to walk up a slope to get to our classrooms, and today I swear I started sliding backwards. As that was happening, I was thinking to myself, dear lord, I'm going to tumble down this hill and also, how am I going to get up this hill, all at once. I finally stepped into the plant area and sort of walked up
Anyway, despite the slipperiness, I made it to class, and today I had a hard time staying awake. Not sure why really, but it was brutal. I got about 7 hours of sleep, so that wasn't terrible, but I literally had to pinch myself at times to stay awake. I've been told by several people that the city itself is a tiring place to be, so perhaps that's what is going on. Or, perhaps it's just the carryover effect from finals, the holidays, traveling, and fighting off a cold...regardless of the cause, I was
After class, we went on another guided tour in the Old City. We entered through the Lion's Gate, which was cool because I hadn't gone in that way before. This gate is the gate that the Israeli troops entered through in 1967 when they reclaimed the Old City for Jerusalem. Kind of neat. Also, in case you don't know, the Old City is walled in (I think I mentioned this before), and there are seven gates (I believe this is correct - one gate is actually closed, so there are only six actual entrances). Before today, I had been to the Damascus, Jaffa, and Dung (unfortunate name) gates. Anyway, Lions Gate led us into the Muslim qu
Another interesting thing - the Dome of the Rock, which houses the stone on which Muhammad ascended to heaven, and the largest functioning mosque in t
Back to the tour - I also saw the site of the Last Supper and David's tomb. Both of those were small, more obscure sites, and if someone hadn't told me what they were, I wouldn't have known at all. Weird how that works! We also stood on the roof at the point where all the quarters meet - cool place to look at all the different parts of the city. I had been up there on the first day in the Old City, but I didn't know what I was standing on then. It turns out tours can be helpful - who knew? ;)
After the tour, we came back and I have been chilling since then - emailing, chatting online, and watching random American tv shows (I got to watch an episode of Gilmore Girls!). Now I'm getting ready to go out to dinner, so I need to end this post. Hope you are all well, and let's hope for sun tomorrow or I might come home in a cast! ;)
Lots of love!
Pictures:
1) Lion's Gate into the Old City
2) View after walking through the Lion's Gate into the Old City
3) Western Wall with the Israeli flag
4) Me on top of the roof at the cross section between all four quarters of the Old City - looking out into the far distance you can see Jordan
5) Me on top of the roof
6) An Old City cat inside the Last Supper room. This cat seemed to be in rough shape, which made me sad
7) I'm actually not sure what this is. I just like the picture. I took it inside the Old City, and it was in the Jewish Quarter. Perhaps it's a synagogue. :)
8) Western Wall with the Dome of the Rock to the left - see how close they are?
9) View from the top of the roof in the Old City.
3 comments:
woot, woot!! there is a new post! good thing i checked for the 11th time today :) i'm quite happy you didn't enter the city through the Dung gate today - it would have been horrible had you slipped there. can't wait to hear your voice later this week!
Wow- it sounds like you brought the ice with you from Minnesota! At least you didn't bring a blizzard or something crazy. *grin*
Take care of yourself and remember to take small steps (think about walking on the Notre Dame campus in December- it was "March of the Penguins", Schmid sister-style!). I love you!
Great pics! You should be a history teacher one day. :)
I was glad to see a picture of one of the cats..maybe you could take one home as a souvenir and a new friend for Tony? See you in 3 days! (Say hi to George for me)
Post a Comment