Given the lost bag, I've been wearing the same clothes since the 28th. Yuck. I did of course go out and buy a few necessities such as undergarments, socks, etc. But the main outfit - sweater/fleece shirt, t-shirt, and pants - is the same. I may have to burn these clothes upon my return home. We'll see. Ick ick ick.
In an actual travel update, here you go, in detail:
We started our travels with a canceled flight out of MSP. Fortunately I checked flight status from home, and when I discovered the flight was canceled, Sarah and I dashed off to the airport to figure out what I would do. United was quite helpful and signed me up for another flight that was to leave in 1/2 hour. I promptly called Kari and told her to get to the airport quickly so they could make the same flight. I then dashed off to security, where I was immediately pulled aside for special screening. I cannot imagine that the misspelled name on my boarding pass helped that situation, but I got through okay, boarded the plane, and waited...and waited and waited. It turns out that all flights into Chicago were stopped for a bit due to the snow storm. Fortunately, this allowed Kari and Bethany to catch up with me, and they boarded the plane right before we took off. All seemed good - we were together and were on our way to Chicago with plenty of time to catch our flight to Warsaw.
After an uneventful flight, we landed in Chicago and made our way to the Lot check in area. We waited in line, and when we stepped up to the desk, they asked for our luggage tags...I had no luggage tag. It seems the United people took mine when I checked in, and I didn't notice because I've NEVER needed one before (even for my other international flights). She then proceeded to tell me that my bag might not make it to Warsaw (so prophetic). She also harassed Bethany about her passport, and I'm still not sure what that was about. Being concerned about what might happen to my luggage, I called United Airlines, and they provided me with my luggage tag number. I promptly provided this number to the desk clerk from Lot, and she said no problem, everything should be fine. At that point, I felt relieved...so naive! ;)
Looking back, it's hard not to wonder if she had something to do with the fact that all of our bags didn't leave Chicago...I hate to think that someone would be that vindictive, but I'm just not sure how that would happen, since the other folks from Chicago had their bags in Tel Aviv. Anyway, the flight to Warsaw was just fine, though I was really bored (the movies were terrible - The Santa Clause 3 and High School Musical. And some really random tv. Again, just say no to Lot Polish Airlines).
Toward the end of the day, we were all exhausted and cold, so we decided to do some shopping in the City Center. Unfortunately for gimpy, that involved a LONG walk on cobblestone streets. We finally made it to the stores, and I just didn't have the energy to participate in the shopping. We decided to find a place for me to sit down, and the best we could find was the bench outside the dressing room at some department store. K and B then left all their stuff with me and hit the stores. I tried to read, but I kept nodding off, and then when I would jolt awake, I felt terrified that they were going to kick me out of the store, as I must have looked like a homeless person - sleeping, surrounded by bags, disheveled, etc. Finally, the girls returned and I got to give up the hobo gig.
After dinner, we headed to the airport, where we promptly made little beds and fell asleep. We had been awake for a LONG time at that point. I never thought I would be one of those people, the people that make beds out of chairs, sleep on the floor, etc., but there I was, out cold. We woke up to find ourselves surrounded by a bunch of annoying travelers, some a big group of Americans. I suddenly felt like an old, wizened traveler, someone that gets annoyed by loud, obnoxious travelers. It was quite funny, considering we probably WERE those people in Chicago. It's funny what a few hours and no sleep can do.
Overall, Warsaw seemed like a neat city - lots of history, decent people, lively, and a cool place to explore. I've heard that Krakow is amazing however, so if I ever make it back to Poland, I think that's where I will go.
The flight to Tel Aviv was just fine, but as you all know, it did not end well due to the missing luggage. After we filed our reports, we proceeded to catch a sherout, or a shuttle, to Jerusalem. That went just fine, and we met a very nice young woman who is eventually moving to America. Upon arrival at Hebrew University, we asked about checking into our rooms, and the front desk clerk almost laughed and said we couldn't check in until 12:00. It was about 6:30 or 7:00 am at that time. Having no idea what to do at that point, we enjoyed a breakfast of gummi bears and once again made little beds in the lobby and fell asleep. The female staff at Maiersdorf did not like this at all, and they kept yelling at us. At that point, I probably could have physically harmed them, but I don't think that Israeli jail is a good idea. Finally, some other students from the group arrived, including the Professor and the administrator, so we had a little tour of the campus and got our IDs, etc. It was during this time that we went to the campus bookstore to purchase the above mentioned necessities as well. Finally finally finally, we got to our rooms and I got to shower. It was a fantastic shower, even if it was cold.
The city of Jerusalem is absolutely beautiful. My room overlooks it, and tonight I watched the sunset over the city. I can see the Dome of the Rock within the Old City from here, and I catch my breath each time I look out. Amazing. Remind me to write about cab drivers and drivers in general here - absolutely insane!
Later Sunday evening, a group of us went to Ben Yehuda Street (seems like the happening street in town - for food, shopping, bars, etc.) to eat, and we had a nice time. Israel is expensive though, and that meal cost quite a bit. I am blowing through the shekels, and that is not good. Not much I can do about it now, so I'm going to just enjoy each day.
Okay, I have more to share, but I need to go now as some of us are getting ready to celebrate New Year's at an American restaurant we found (NYE is not big here, as this isn't the Jewish new year, and I'm not sure what it represents for Muslims). I hope you are all well, and I will write more soon.
Love and happy new year!
PS: The picture on the left is of Old Town in Warsaw, and the picture on the right is sad Lisa upon arrival to Maiersdorf with no luggage and no room. :) More pics to follow soon.
9 comments:
Yay! Sounds like you are well on your way to a wonderful trip! I'm glad your luggage was located and is arriving soon. :) Post a picture of the view from your room! :)
At least you bought some fresh underwear and socks...that goes a long way towards feeling clean!!
I'm glad you made it and you bags will be there soon!! Clothes and all other necessities like soap - woohoo!
Travis says hello as well...we miss you!
Sounds like you have had quite the adventure so far, Yikes! It's so good to hear you are safe even if you are a bit stinky :) Thanks for the updates! Enjoy the rest of your trip! Take care!
It sounds like you're making a lot of memories (future stories) already! Hopefully your luggage will show up soon! Have a happy new year and a great experience studying in Israel. I am sure this will be an adventure you will remember for a lifetime.
Love,
DAD
Hey, Lis Marie... I am glad that you are settled in and got to take a shower! It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time. Enjoy yourself and keep us posted! Love you.
HAPPY NEW YEAR lmcm!!! so excited to read your new post. . .i'm looking forward to the rest of them! damn good thing you packed the extra pair of underwear in your carry-on.
Hey Lise Marie-We will miss you big time at the dinner tonight. I have already let God know to kick your guardian angel into hyper drive. The taxi drivers sound like they are driving faster than your guardian angel prefers to fly so seatbelts! So glad you got your room and a shower-but COLD water? What's up with that? Enjoy and don't worry so much about the money. Eat three squares and tour as much as you can and still get enough rest. Money may not grow on trees here but you are in the Holy Land where the fishes and loaves miraculous multiplied and the Red Sea parted-so a money tree is not too much to expect. If that doesn't pan out the 'rents will always back you. Love and miss you babe-prayers are flying fast and furious. Have lots of fun and can't wait to see and hear more. Love-Mom
Hey Lise Marie-Sounds like the Perils of Pauline Israel style. So glad you got your room and a shower-but what's up with the COLD water?! I have let God know to tell your Guardian Angel to kick it into hyper drive. Sounds like the drivers are definitely trying to drive faster than your angel would like to fly-so seatbelts!! Don't worry too much about the shekels. You are in the country of miracles-Red Sea parting and the loaves and fishes mutliplying etc. A money tree doesn't seem too unrealistic. If you can't find one though remember the 'rents will always help you out-lol. Israel could be a once in a lifetime so go for it. Try to get three squares and 8 hours of sleep. Dad and I will really miss you tonight at our New Years Eve steak dinner. I will do a toast and prayer for sure. Love you babe. Looking forward to more updates and pics. Blessings to you and your friends. Love-Mom
HAPPY NEW YEAR! I'm glad your having fun even if it has resulted in one sad face because of dumb people.
CAN't wait to hear more!!! :D
Post a Comment