Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year!




Happy New Year, everyone! I know it's close to the celebrating hour at home, so I hope everyone is having fun and enjoying good food, drink, and company.

December 31 was an excellent day here. We had class in the morning, and I found the topic to be quite fascinating. We talked about dispute resolution in Judaism, and we had an excellent speaker, Michael Tsur. He has negotiated many major deals, and he is also a hostage negotiator. Big time person here. Very cool.

After class, Michelle, Karina (two classmates), and I decided to head into the Old City for lunch and just general sightseeing. My understanding of the Old City is limited, but I believe it's basically what used to constitute historical Jerusalem. It is walled in (the walls might be temple walls, I can't believe I don't know at the moment), and one of the walls is the famous wailing
wall (we are having some organized tours later, so I can tell you all much more about that then). The Old City is divided into four quarters: Christian, Muslim, Armenian, and Jewish. We wandered throughout the market, ate a fabulous lunch outside (delicious and cheap!), bought some baklava and bread, and just enjoyed the scenery. Old City is unlike any place I've ever been, and I'm not sure how to even describe it. There are tons and tons of little street shops, selling all sorts of things - food, fruit, juice, clothing, shoes, and even paint, as in like a mini Home Depot (very mini)! It is also filled with hugely important religious sites: the previously mentioned wailing wall, the Dome of the Rock (Mosque I think), and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Many if not all of the Stations of the Cross actually took place within the Old City, and you can trace the last steps of Jesus. Really, simply amazing. I can't wait to learn more about the entire place, and our upcoming tours should be amazingly helpful. I feel like an idiot for not knowing more, but I just didn't have enough personal time with the guidebook before we landed. Oh well, it was simply cool to just walk around and experience the place yesterday. Stay tuned for accurate information on Old City!

After we returned from the Old City, several of the American students and two of the Aussies met up and got ready to hit the town for New Year's Eve. As I mentioned in the last post, NYE is not a big deal here, so we weren't sure where we would wind up. In excellent news however, one of the Aussies studied at Hebrew University for a semester, and she became a fabulous tour guide. We had dinner at some burger joint, and it was honestly one of the best burgers I've ever had. Naomi, the Aussie, told us that a lot of the foreign Jews love that place, and it definitely had a younger, global crowd. After burgers, we hit up an American bar called Mike's Place, and that's where we spent the remainder of our evening. They played American classic rock music, and then the band played covers of American classic rock hits. We drank (well, diet coke for me), danced, laughed, and toasted in the New Year. A truly excellent night, but a late one, so many of us will be dragging through class today. Oh well, the evening was well worth it!

Today, I have class from 8:30 until 12:30, and then I think I will take a nap. I also hope to have my luggage, which will mean fresh clothes. I can honestly hardly wait. One of my classmates lent me a shirt (thanks, Michael - you're a rock star), so at least the t-shirt under the brown sweater is fresh. After napping, who knows what will happen - food will be on the agenda, and perhaps some more sightseeing as well.

This weekend, we are planning to get out of town (Jerusalem basically shuts down completely for Shabbat), and I think we are going to go to Mosada and the Dead Sea - I will provide more information on these places later.

The pictures: a tower on one of the walls surrounding the Old City, me in the market in Old City, the Dome of the Rock (Muslim), and a view from just inside (or outside? I was a bit confused) the Old City. If you click on the pictures, you should be able to see much larger versions. Also, soon you will see me in new clothes - how exciting! ;)

Okay, that's all for now - I have to head to class.

Lots of love and Happy 2008!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your luggage arrives before you read this comment. It sounds like you are having a great time! :) I think you know a LOT about the sites you've been to, but am sure you will learn a lot more. I thought about you as we rang in the year at the melting pot! Love you and keep writing!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! Wow, it sounds like you have been doing a lot. I am amazed that you have been to the Wailing Wall- did you leave a note to be tucked in the wall? Is that something that is actually done, or is it just something I read?

I'm sure your classes today were a blur, tired girl... ah, studying in a foreign country and being a tourist at the same time- I hope you get that nap so you can truly enjoy everything. I know, I know, you'll be fine. Just one of your younger sisters nagging you again. *grin* Take care and I love you!

sje said...

baaak laaaa vaaaa. i was reading your blog and my mom looked over my shoulder and said: "tell lisa those clothes look awful familiar!" ha! i'm glad you had a good new year's eve!

Austin said...

Happy New Year! Glad it has worked out and you found a change of clothes. Marrit and Adam's wedding was a blast. Take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lise Marie-We missed you last night. We had the traditional steak w/baked potatoe and cauliflower w/broccoli, as well as a Caesar salad and cottage cheese. Ate after midnight as dad had the oven at 350 instead of 450 for the potatoes but it was great!! Hard to beat a good t-bone. Your hamburger sounds good. Funny that no matter where you go a good burger is something everyone enjoys. Dad and I had our eyes checked today and we are getting new glasses. Our prescriptions only changed a bit but it was June and September of 05 that we got new glasses yet. You will be surprised at one of my new pair, but dad got new lenses for his glasses now and a new pair that is almost identical to this one except the frame goes underneath his eyes instead of the frameless. They fixed his sunglasses for free and I got my second pair with the clips for the glasses. So set to go for Arizona and Mexico. We decided 2007 had been a much better year than 2006. I hope your luggage made it okay with everything intact. I believe the witch in Chicago sabotaged you deliberately. Some people w/a little power can be scary. Love hearing what you are doing and look forward to hearing you are having a fun time. Take care. Love you Lisa. Blessings to you and your gang. XXOO-Mom